|I got burned to the tune of about $75 and a three day wait last time I had a hard drive failure.
Sure, I "had a backup".
What I learned was that that meant that I had the ability to retrieve THE DATA from the apps which I had, but it DIDN'T MEAN that I had the ability to restore the complete disk.
Now yes, the data from the apps was the critical aspect, but really, paying gobs of money for a "restore" CD (and waiting for delivery, for which I paid more money, for the "expedited" service to my low density populated town) well,,, you get the idea.
Okay, so I want to prepare for the next hard drive failure.
This time, I want to use a package that allows me to...
I'm Currently running Windows 7 on this machine.
- Copy the disk (i.e., the entire image) to the external unit
- Change the hard drive
- Boot from a CD-Rom
- Restore the full image
- Reboot and resume with an identical hard drive
Any and all advice is welcome.
Immediate questions in my head include...
- What do I want ?
- What questions do I ask ?
- Whom do I ask ?
- How do I recognize the idiot packages such as the one I used before ?
- What are the terms I want to see on the marketing hype ?