Here is the script to generate the HTML document of your SQL Server 2000/2005 database. It is reverse engineering after the database is created. I hope it will be useful to many of you.
While working as a part time DBA for some projects, I encountered difficulties in documenting and publishing my databases because I do not have any tool available to generate the document. I have written this script that gives the output in HTML that is easy to be modified/published/distributed.
Using the Code
Follow these steps to use this script:
- Download the attached script file and open it in Management Studio (tested on version 9.00).
- Select the database for which you want to generate document.
- Select Result to File (Ctrl+Shift+F) from Query - Results To menu.
- Execute (F5) the script.
- In the Save Result dialogue box, type a file name (filename.htm/filename.html) in the File Name text box and select All Files (*.*) in Save As Type dropdown.
- After successful execution of query, check the output file.
Note: For populating the description of table and columns, update the Description property of table and columns while creating database diagram or add extended property for them with name as
I hope this information will be helpful. I am planning to provide details of code in my next update.
- Bug in getting index column is resolved
- Bug in getting check constraints list is resolved
- Definition of check constraints is added to document
- Table Summary is changed to Table Description
- Table and column description is populated from extended property
Download documentation application from here.
With 10 years of experience of working on Microsoft platform, currently I am working as Database/BI expert.